Three clergymen of the same name took part in the installation of a new minister for the First German Lutheran Zion church in Bridgeport, Connecticut at Grand and Catherine streets.
The first Pastor, William Henry Steup was born on 28 Nov 1874 in Albany, New York as son of Heinrich Steup and his wife Louise nee Bender. He educated at Concordia Collegiate Institute located in the village of Bronxville, in Westchester County, New York, the Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Indiana and Concordia Theological Seminary, St. Louis, Missouri. He was ordained in Oil City, Pennsilvania., where he served his first pastorate. After serving two pastorates in the Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other States William Henry Steup came to Brooklyn, in 1919, to be pastor of St. Mark's Church on Windsor Terrace. While he was serving this church he received a unanimous call to St. John´s and began his duties there on June 18. 1922.
Shortly after his ordination, the clergyman married Miss Katharine Kirchner. a fellow Albanian. They have three daughters, Mrs. Ruth Renner, Mrs. Dorothy Jacobsen and Mrs. Katharine Thiele, and two grandsons, Roy and William Renner.