Three clergymen of the same name took part in the installation of a new minister for the First German Lutheran Zion church in Bridgeport, Connecticut at Grand and Catherine streets.
The first Pastor, William Henry Steup was born on 28 Nov 1874 in Albany, New York as son of Heinrich Steup and his wife Louise nee Bender. He educated at Concordia Collegiate Institute located in the village of Bronxville, in Westchester County, New York, the Concordia College, Fort Wayne, Indiana and Concordia Theological Seminary, St. Louis, Missouri. He was ordained in Oil City, Pennsilvania., where he served his first pastorate. After serving two pastorates in the Synod of Missouri, Ohio and other States William Henry Steup came to Brooklyn, in 1919, to be pastor of St. Mark's Church on Windsor Terrace. While he was serving this church he received a unanimous call to St. John´s and began his duties there on June 18. 1922.
Shortly after his ordination, the clergyman married Miss Katharine Kirchner. a fellow Albanian. They have three daughters, Mrs. Ruth Renner, Mrs. Dorothy Jacobsen and Mrs. Katharine Thiele, and two grandsons, Roy and William Renner.
The second Pastor, Heinrich Christian Steup was born at 01 Feb 1852 in Lake Twp, Allen Co, Indiana, USA as Son of Adolph Heinrich Steup and his wife Marie Sophie nee Wilkening of New York, is a distant relative of William Henry. On 18 Nov 1875 he married Ottilie Marie Christiane nee Kunz.
The third Pastor, Martin Luther Steup from New York, is a son of Heinrich Christian
"The Bridgeport Evening Farmer" a newspaper locatet in Bridgeport Conn. published on May 02, 1910 the fllowing article
NEW PASTOR OF GERMAN LUTHERAN ZION CHURCH INSTALLED YESTERDAY
Three clergymen of the same name took rart in the installation of a new minister for the First German Lutheran Zion church at Grand and Catherine streets, yesterday afternoon. The new clergyman is Rev. William Henry Steup, formerly of Oil City. Penn. The installation sermon was preached by Heinrich Christian Steup of New York, a distant relative of the new pastor, and the instalaltion ceremony was in charge of Rev. Martin Luther Steup of South Norwalk, who has been temporarily in charge of the congregation, a son of the New York minister.
Rev. W. H. Steup succeeds Rev. Otto Hanser who tendered his resignation last January after a pastorate of several years. He left this city to accept a fall from a church in East Rutherford, N. J.
The new pastor of the local church is a graduate of the Concordia Theological seminary of St. Louis, and he founded a congregation in Oil City, Penn., where he was stationed for 12 years before coming here. His new charge in this city has a church, school and parsonage practically clear from debt, a congregation of between 00 and 700 souls, and a church society of 70 voting members. The ehurtfh was organized in 1892. Only German is spoaken in the services.
On September 19, 1910 the newspaper informed about the new bicycle of Pastor Steup
PARISH GIVES REV. - Mr. STEUP WHEEL
They Want Him to Call Oftener and Bicycle Will Help Him. As his flock is scattered, all over the city and great feats of pedestrianism are required of him to make his pastorial calls on foft, Rev. W. H. Steup was the recipient, last nignt, of a bicycle, the gift of his parish-oners, who like the clergyman - so much that they want to see him often. Rev. Mr. Steup has been the pastor of the German Evangelical Lutheran Zion church in Grand street, for the past four months. He owned a bicycle in Pennsylvania trtrt ' the country was so hilly . thee ,'thatv he could only ' ride - it -down grade - and on an occasional level spot. He sold the wheel before he knew that he was coming to this city.
Last night, after the services at the church, the clergyman, received, a call from the male members or nis congregation v-'at the parsonage. jaanesierger, xne eeureiary ui mo.wusitt tional acted as spokesman and presented Rev. Steup with a purse of money, telling him that it wis their wish that he buy a bicycle. , The clergyman accepted the purse with thanks and said that when he securd the bicycle they would see him often.
On December 03, 1914 we can read a story about the resignation of Pastor Steup after 18 years of service.
IMPAIRED SIGHT CAUSES VACATION OF PASTOR STEUP
Minister for 18 Years, He Must Have Long Rest to Save Eyes. The congregation of the German Evangelical Lutheran Zion church are deeply regretting the resignation of their pastor, W. H. Steup, which, was effected some weeks ago.: - Rev. Mr. Steup, who has had charge of the local parish for the past four and one-half years, was compelled to give up hid work entirely because of his failing eyesight. '. Doctors tell him that a rest of several months will cure him and with thi? in view, he and his family have taken a house near the church, where it -is hoped fthe popular pastor will be able, to recuperate, lie hopes to be able to take up his duties as a pastor' again at the end of the period of, resting. Meanwhile, the members of the parish are trying to find as able a man to fill the parish which Mr, Steup has left. ' A call has been extended, to Rev. Martin L. Steup of Norwalk, a relative of the resigning pastor. The Norwalk minister, has been substituting for Mr. Steup for several weeks but his parish refuses to allow him to leave them as they have Just completed a new church which his efforts made possible and he is very popular among them. Rev.W. H. Steup came to Bridgeport from Oil City, Pa, which was his first parish and where he spent 11 years. He attended Bronxville college, Fort Wayne colllege and St. Louis seminary and has been a minister for 18 years. The' Bridgeport church Is a most prosperous one, having a congregation of some 500. There is a schoool which has a German teacher 1n charge, a fine church building and parsonage on the church property. It is not yet known who will take the pastorate.