Henry A. was born on September 01, 1822 in Pfuhl, Rheinland Pfalz, Germany as Heinrich Adolf Steup, son of Henrich Steup and Anna Margarete Hisgen. In the year 1838 he emigrated with his parents to America. Henry was also as his sister illegitimate born but both were recognized with the marriage of their parents on February 13, 1851. 

When he died the following death notice appeared in "The Fort Wayne Sentinel" on Friday, March 17, 1899

Henry A. Steup, another of Fort Wayne's older residents, died at 2 o'clock this morning at the home of his son, Gottleib Steup, 106 West Jefferson street, of dropsy, aged seventy-six years, six months and seven days. Mr. steup came to America from Germany in 1838, stopping in Pennsylvania, where he worked as a coal miner one year. He then started westward, walking from Pittsburg, Pa., to Cincinnati, then to Piqua, Ohio, and from that place to Fort Wayne. Entering the employ of Hon. William Rockhill1), he followed the plow over the land bounded by St. Mary's river, Fulton and Washington streets and the greater part of "Nebraska", all now covered by fine business houses and elegant homes.

Mr. Steup also hauled the stone used in building the Rockhill house, now St. Joseph's hospital. After accumulating some money he bought a farm in Lake township. An injury to his spine, caused by a fall in 1863, compelled him to abandon farming, and be entered the employ of R. W. Taylor, warehouseman on Pearlstreet. Later he sold farm implements and managed the business of Hon. I. D. G. Nelson. Politically Mr. Steup was a democrat, but in 1873 he was elected city assessor on the republican ticket, being nominated by that party without his knowledge while out of the city. He aided financially the building of the first St. Paul's Lutheran church on Barr street, and also Emanuel's Lutheran church2). His wife and seven Children preceded him in death. Three sons survive - Rev. Christian Steup, of New York City, and Louis and Gottlieb of his city. There are also twenty grandchildren. The venerable Mrs. Louis Griebel, sr., is a sister. Announcement of the funeral will be given later.

 

1) William Rockhill Nelson managed the Indiana campaign of U.S. presidential candidate Samuel J. Tilden in 1876. With Samuel E. Morss, he bought the Fort Wayne Sentinel in 1878. The partners sold that Indiana paper after a year and a half and moved to Kansas City, Missouri, where they founded the Evening Star.
2) In 1867, St. Paul Lutheran Church, currently located at 1125 South Barr Street, decided to split into two congregations in order to better serve its members. At a special meeting this new parish adopted Emmanuel as the church name and petitioned to join what is today known as the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod. St. Paul presented the new congregation with the property in the 900 block of West Jefferson, on which a house and a two-room school already stood. With this simple school began Emmanuel's commitment to Christian education and service to its members, and the West Central neighborhood in which it stands.